Should I Write a Book?

Monday 8 March 2010

My View on Democracy

Now democracy… is seen as a double edged sword, we give people power, through trust and belief in their honesty and morality. We trust them to act on our behalf and do what is good for the nation, yes? They represent us in our mini version of the nation, parliament or congress or so on, and they act in our best interests, yes?

Why?

I know that people don’t like it, I know for not a fact because I hear people talking about it all the time, and that is not a fact that is the public hegemony. In the society we live in, we hate having to trust people with power; we are brought up in a capitalist society where the only person we can trust is us. And even then there are doubts. We give the keys of the nation to people we elect based on a few speeches and a document written by someone who has met the subject once. Yet we elect people based on this. It makes no sense.

It is understandable to have a form of representative democracy, I mean, there are 60 million people in the UK, and I don’t think anything would get done if you had to ask 60 million people every time you wanted to raise the salaries of MPs. (I know MPs wouldn’t exist if it was a direct democracy, but they seemed like a good candidate, if it pleases you so, substitute “civil servant” in there instead). Why no make things smaller? Why not have a smaller society that can deal with direct democracy, have civil servants that don’t exist, remove bureaucracy and the capacity for paper pushing. Why not?

Also, my favourite trousers ripped today, don’t buy chords from NEXT and walk 5 miles a day in them…

No comments:

Post a Comment